China and Africa business forum looms
CBJ - July 26 - The China Africa Business Forum will be held at the Gallagher Convention Centre in Johannesburg, South Africa on 20 October 2011. The forum will host trade and industry professionals, investors and diplomatic representatives to discuss how to increase trade between African and Chinese businesses.
While some are sceptical as to whether China-Africa trade benefits Africa as much as China, those in the know say much depends on whether African countries and businesses position themselves to exploit strategic opportunities. These include opportunities for bilateral trade in sectors such as infrastructure and logistics, construction, agribusiness, human-resource development, mining and energy.
China has become the world's top manufacturer surpassing the US, with a manufacturing industry that produces a range of sophisticated equipment beneficial to Africa's development. Meanwhile, Africa has strategic resources such as oil.
The importance of the bilateral relationship between China and Africa was emphasised at the World Economic Forum 2011 held in Cape Town in May, where South African President Jacob Zuma said, "Africa should interact with China in a way that benefits both countries."
Trade between South Africa and China has grown by more than R100-billion (US$13.6-billion) since 1998, when full diplomatic relations were established. Total trade amounted to R119.7-billion (US$16.3-billion) at the end of 2009, growing by 2% from 2008 to a total of R118-billion (US$16-billion).
China's involvement in the African economy has also made it possible for African countries to diversify their trading partners, thereby reducing their vulnerability to primary commodity price shocks, and increasing competition among importers of African commodities.
More Business News
- Top 41 oil players push through to January-planned mass auction of Iraq oil reserves contracts
- Have you booked in for Petrochem Arabia? October 9-11 promises industry-wide converge
- Petroleum Development Oman awards contract for solar steam oil tech regional first play
- IKEA is flying Solar
- Diggers & Dealers delivers plenty of news
- BP bomb detonation work shuts down key production pipeline for U.K companies
- Walmart seafood deal set to net profit
- Canacol Energy Ltd. Provides Colombia and Ecuador Operations Update
- CORRE Enters Into Loan Agreements to Partially Fund SAR-CORRE MENA 2013 Operating Budget, Ongoing Equity Financing
- PetroBakken Annual General and Special Meeting Information
- Tuscany Energy Ltd. and Diaz Resources Ltd. Announce Execution of Definitive Agreement for Proposed Business Combination
- Argent Energy Trust Announces Bought Deal Convertible Debenture Financing to Accelerate Eagle Ford Oil Development
- Platino Energy Corp. Announces Agreement to Increase Working Interest in the Coati and Andaquies Blocks and Release of First Quarter Financial Results
- Baytex to Webcast Annual and Special Meeting of Shareholders