IFIC Monthly Statistics – December 2018
TORONTO, Jan. 17, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The Investment Funds Institute of Canada (IFIC) today announced mutual fund net sales and net assets for December 2018.
The combined assets of Canada’s mutual fund industry totalled $1.42 trillion. Assets decreased by $51.8 billion or 3.5% compared to November 2018.
The mutual fund industry recorded net sales of -$7.9 billion in December and net sales of $109 million for 2018.
- Long-term fund net sales were -$8.9 billion in December. For 2018, net sales were -$2.5 billion, which were 105.7% lower than 2017.
- Balanced fund net sales were -$3.5 billion in December. For 2018, net sales were $418 million, which were 98.3% lower than 2017.
- Equity fund net sales were -$2.8 billion in December. For 2018, net sales were -$224 million, which were 103.2% lower than 2017.
- Bond fund net sales were -$2.9 billion in December. For 2018, net sales were -$6.8 billion, which were 167.4% lower than 2017.
- Money market fund net sales were $1.1 billion in December. For 2018, net sales were $2.7 billion, which were 1513% higher than 2017.
Net Sales ($ Millions)
|Asset Class||December 2018||November 2018||December 2017||2018||2017|
|Total Long-term Funds||-8,928||-2,789||1,085||-2,550||44,364|
|Total Money Market Funds||1,060||375||340||2,658||-188|
Net Assets ($ Billions)
|Asset Class||December 2018||November 2018||December 2017|
|Total Long-term Funds||1,395.6||1,448.6||1,452.8|
|Total Money Market Funds||27.5||26.3||24.2|
* Balanced funds include funds that invest in a mix of stocks and bonds as well as funds that invest in a mix of separate stand-alone funds.
IFIC makes every effort to verify the accuracy, currency and completeness of the information; however, IFIC does not guarantee, warrant, represent or undertake that the information provided is correct, accurate or current.
The Investment Funds Institute of Canada is the voice of Canada’s investment funds industry. IFIC brings together 150 organizations, including fund managers, distributors and industry service organizations, to foster a strong, stable investment sector where investors can realize their financial goals. By connecting Canada’s savers to Canada’s economy, our industry contributes significantly to Canadian economic growth and job creation. To learn more about IFIC, please visit IFIC.ca.
For more information please contact:
Senior Manager, Communications and Public Affairs