Juniper Networks and Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories Forge Alliance to Solve IT-OT Convergence Challenges
SUNNYVALE, CA–(Marketwired – December 11, 2017) – Juniper Networks (NYSE: JNPR), an industry leader in automated, scalable and secure networks, and Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories (SEL), which designs and builds digital systems to protect power grids around the world, together have jointly developed an end-to-end network orchestration platform that enables secure and seamless IT-OT convergence for the utilities sector. The new integrated solution brings together Juniper Event Driven Infrastructure (EDI) with SEL’s software-defined networking (SDN) controller to unlock network telemetry data that ends unplanned downtime, improves asset utilization and automates condition-based maintenance.
Power and utility companies are modernizing equipment in the field with data-rich sensors that allow them to remotely monitor, proactively maintain and predictively troubleshoot to avoid truck rolls and unplanned downtime. The challenge, however, is that infusing modern IT applications like this within existing infrastructure can bring threats to the safety, reliability and operational performance of key operational technology (OT). Deploying separate, non-integrated IT and OT solutions can double operational expenses. The safe and reliable convergence of OT and IT is critical to meeting business and operational requirements.
The introduction of the Juniper and SEL joint programmable, end-to-end network solution puts utilities on the path to realizing the Self-Driving Network vision, providing the ability to centrally manage these IT-OT environments as a single asset. This allows them to use network telemetry from the field to proactively engineer application traffic with the extreme reliability required for safe operations. This jointly developed solution can reduce costs by providing centrally managed circuit provisioning and near real-time telemetry monitoring and improve network performance with microsecond network healing and availability of every path and port. Lastly, the solution brings fortified security with deny-by-default, whitelisted multi-layer packet inspection flow provisioning.
- SEL Software-Defined Network Flow Controller and Network Switch. Enabling a combination of configurations, the SEL-5056 Controller proactively manages fault-tolerant networks in the energy and utility sectors. With the SEL-2740S, the industry’s first field-hardened SDN switch, the solution enhances the performance of mission critical applications in harsh environments. Juniper’s vMX virtual router is included as a virtual network function atop SEL’s hardened Ethernet switch.
- SEL ICON SONET Multiplexer. The wide-area-networking multiplexer is a hardened edge device that eases the migration of legacy network applications to a packet-based solution that interoperates with Juniper’s MPLS or carrier Ethernet-based core networks.
- Juniper EDI professional services offering. Juniper EDI enables seamless IT-OT convergence for automated operation, compliance, testing and the configuration of devices to ensure the safe inter-application coordination of critical workflows.
- Juniper Networks vSRX virtual firewall. Juniper’s virtual firewall, the vSRX, provides full next-generation security capabilities and automated life-cycle management at speeds of up to 100 Gbps.
- Juniper Contrail Service Orchestration. At the heart of the solution is Juniper’s orchestration platform that simplifies and automates the design and implementation of custom IT-OT network services in a multivendor environment that uses an open framework to deliver a comprehensive service lifecycle management system.
The Juniper-SEL solution provides all of the programmability needed to optimize the network for facility infrastructures and deliver the performance that IT applications demand. Using centralized configuration with virtualization capabilities for the entire physical and logical network, the system enhances security while ensuring NERC CIP compliance to drive down capital and operational expenses.
“Digital operations are transforming the energy sector. Today’s API-converged software and IoT systems offer new insights, new efficiencies, and greatly reduce costs. SEL and Juniper Networks are leading this change together, making the Self-Driving Network™ a reality by bringing the most advanced security and networking orchestration to the utilities industry. The end-to-end united IT-OT management demonstrates the future of simplified operations.”
- James Kelly, Lead Cloud/SDN Architect, Juniper Networks
“SEL and Juniper Networks simplify network control systems whether they are core or substation technologies. Juniper’s ability to orchestrate and automate network elements, combined with our industry leading SDN controller and hardware technologies, greatly simplify how the energy industry can manage infrastructures in the digital age.”
- Dave Whitehead, Chief Operating Officer, SEL
- Juniper Networks – SEL Joint Solution White Paper
- SEL-5056 Software-Defined Networks Flow Controller
- SEL-2740S Software-Defined Network Switch
- Software-Defined Networking Redefines Performance for Ethernet Control Systems
- Follow Juniper Networks online: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn
- Juniper Blogs and Community: J-Net
- Juniper 1on1 app: Keep up with all things Juniper from your smartphone. Download the app from iTunes and Google Play store today.
About Juniper Networks
Juniper Networks challenges the status quo with products, solutions and services that transform the economics of networking. Our team co-innovates with customers and partners to deliver automated, scalable and secure networks with agility, performance and value. Additional information can be found at Juniper Networks (www.juniper.net) or connect with Juniper on Twitter and Facebook.
About Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories
SEL invents, designs, and builds digital products and systems that protect power grids around the world. This technology prevents blackouts and enables customers to improve power system reliability, safety and cost. SEL, a 100 percent employee-owned company that is headquartered in Pullman, Washington, has manufactured products in the United States since 1984 and now serves customers in 157 countries. SEL provides unmatched technical support, customer service and a 10-year worldwide warranty.
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve a number of assumptions, uncertainties and risks including, among other things, statements concerning Juniper Networks’ prospects, product availability, future products and performance, ability to integrate the company’s products with third parties, and other benefits to customers. Actual results or events could differ materially from those anticipated in those forward-looking statements as a result of certain factors, including delays in scheduled product availability, incompatibility of technologies, the company’s failure to accurately predict emerging technological trends, and other factors listed in Juniper Networks’ most recent report on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. All statements made in this press release are made only as of the date of this press release. Juniper Networks undertakes no obligation to update the information in this release in the event facts or circumstances subsequently change after the date of this press release. Any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification that may be referenced in this press release are for information purposes only, are subject to change at any time without notice and are not commitments to deliver any future product, feature, enhancement or related specification. The information contained in this press release is intended to outline Juniper Networks’ general product direction and should not be relied on in making a purchasing decision.
Juniper Networks, the Juniper Networks logo, Juniper and Junos are registered trademarks of Juniper Networks, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.
Schweitzer Engineering Laboratories