TELUS investing $19 billion in Alberta through 2027 to support vital network connectivity, sustainability and innovation
Celebrating 10 years of TELUS PureFibre, recently named A.B.’s top broadband network by Opensignal1
CALGARY, Alberta, May 23, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — TELUS announced an investment of $19 billion to build and develop network infrastructure, operations, and spectrum across Alberta over the next five years as part of its commitment to invest $81 billion across Canada by 2027.These investments are critical to providing Canadians with access to superior technology, connecting customers to the people, resources and information that make their lives better. Since 2000, TELUS has invested more than $57 billion in Alberta alone, building global leading industry networks and has been recognized as Alberta’s top broadband network by Opensignal.
“As a company that has been headquartered in Western Canada for more than 125 years, TELUS’ $19 billion investment in Alberta will further amplify the superiority of our world-leading wireless and PureFibre networks, enabling vital connectivity for millions of citizens. This builds on the more than $57 billion TELUS has invested in network infrastructure, operations, and spectrum across Alberta since 2000,” said Darren Entwistle, President and CEO of TELUS. “Our globally recognized networks are the backbone of our digital economy and societies, driving innovation and uplifting marginalized communities. This investment will help ensure that Albertans can stay connected to what matters most, including healthcare, safe and healthy food, online education, friends and family, and the flexibility to work remotely; all with the attendant environmental benefits.”
TELUS’ next generation networks are unleashing human productivity and contributing to improved health and educational outcomes, supporting environmental sustainability, fostering entrepreneurship, bridging the socio-economic divide, and driving economic growth. TELUS is steadfast in its commitment to using technology, team member-led innovation, and human compassion to address the most important societal challenges of this generation and bringing real solutions to the residents of Alberta and across Canada. Now through 2027 in British Columbia, TELUS is:
- Committing $5 million to support Alberta fire relief
In response to the devastating wildfires that spread throughout Alberta and its impact on children and families, TELUS, in partnership with TELUS Friendly Future Foundation, TELUS Indigenous Communities Fund, TELUS Agriculture & Consumer Goods and TELUS Health committed $5 million in cash donations and in-kind contributions to local charities and organizations supporting relief efforts and first responders, including the Canadian Red Cross and Salvation Army.
- TELUS technicians worked around the clock to maintain critical infrastructure and network connectivity under the most challenging of conditions to ensure Albertans and first responders stay connected.
- Celebrating 10 years of PureFibre: The only 100 per cent all fibre network in Alberta
TELUS has invested over $7 billion nationally in network infrastructure and operations to bring our most advanced broadband Internet technology to millions of homes and businesses, creating 50,000 jobs throughout construction, and contributing more than $930 million to local economies in B.C., Alberta and Quebec. This year, TELUS will connect thousands of more homes and businesses across Alberta., including Calgary, Edmonton, Spruce Grove and the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo. PureFibre is Alberta’s only 100 per cent pure fibre-to-the-home network and currently reaches more than 1 million homes and businesses, including 117,000 rural homes and businesses across the province. TELUS’ PureFibre network recently brought home top honours in A.B. in Opensignal’s April 2023 Canada Fixed Broadband Experience Report, solidifying TELUS’ position as the home Internet provider to beat when it comes to network quality, experience and speed.
- Supporting Alberta’s agriculture industry
TELUS Agriculture & Consumer Goods is on a mission to create a unified, trusted and sustainable value chain that enables the most efficient production and logistics outcomes, while lowering the impact on the environment. In 2021, TELUS Agriculture Feedlot Management solutions empowered the reduction of 19,603 tonnes of CO2e emissions, which were then claimed through the Alberta market. That’s equivalent to 4,224 gasoline-powered passenger vehicles driven for one year.
- Creating a greener province and planet
Our investments in energy-efficient networks, renewable energy sources, innovative technologies and sustainable business practices are supporting a greener future by reducing our carbon footprint and enabling TELUS to become net carbon neutral by 2030 or sooner.
- On April 21, TELUS celebrated the planting of its one millionth tree to help mitigate climate change. In partnership with leading restoration companies, including Veritree and Flash Forest, TELUS is working to leverage the power of its world-leading networks and innovative technology to revolutionize nature-based solutions with the goal of replenishing forests and seaforests. To start, TELUS, Veritree and Flash Forest are focusing on reforestation and seaforestation projects in western Canada and internationally.
- In 2022, our virtual power purchase agreements with renewable energy developments in Alberta became operational, which means all of our current electricity needs in that province are effectively being met by solar or wind sources. These renewable energy investments enable us to grow our core business sustainably while powering our networks from cleaner electricity sources.
- TELUS also recognizes the role of connectivity in supporting Canada’s climate objectives. Digital connectivity and technologies can reduce GHGs emissions by up to 20 per cent2. As a country with high-quality telecom networks and high GHG emissions per capita, Canada has the opportunity to become a world leader in digital climate policy and digital climate solutions, incentivizing digital uptake across underserved communities, GHG intensive-industries, and the public service.
- Continuing to roll out 3500 MHz spectrum on its 5G network
Since June 2022, TELUS has been deploying its 3500 MHz spectrum holdings on its next-generation 5G wireless network to further support the country’s economic growth and competitiveness, bringing enhanced capacity, low latency and even faster speeds to TELUS customers.
- As part of this rollout, customers in communities coast to coast can now access this 3500 MHz spectrum, including in Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax and St. John’s.
- Redefining the connected home experience with TELUS’ smart living solution
- In collaboration with Amazon Web Services, Inc. (AWS), TELUS’ new smart living solution will use the latest advancements in cloud technologies, Internet of things (IoT), machine learning (ML), and artificial intelligence (AI) to create automation experiences using all of our connected devices. TELUS’ smart living solution will reduce the complexity of installing and managing connected home devices and services from multiple vendors, device manufacturers (ODMs) and service providers. It will make it easier for consumers to use existing and new smart home devices to automate their home.
From 2000 through 2022, TELUS has invested $240 billion nationally in network infrastructure, operations and spectrum, including more than $57 billion in Alberta. These investments are consistent with TELUS’ capital expenditure guidance for 2023, released in the fourth quarter of 2022 earnings release dated February 9, 2023.
TELUS also embraces tax morality as a means of further investing in our communities. Since 2000, TELUS has paid approximately $54 billion in total tax and spectrum remittances to our federal, provincial and municipal governments across Canada, consisting of corporate income taxes, sales taxes, property taxes, employer portion of payroll taxes, various regulatory fees and spectrum remittances, including more than $2.3 billion in taxes in 2022 alone. These funds support public works projects, education, healthcare, cultural pursuits and other initiatives that improve the social and economic well-being of our communities.
Since 2000, TELUS, our team members and retirees provided $230 million in cash, in-kind contributions, time and programs and volunteered 3.49 million hours to charities and community organizations located specifically in Alberta. Globally, our TELUS family has contributed $1.5 billion in giving including 15 million volunteer hours since 2000.
This news release contains statements about future events and plans that are forward-looking, including statements relating to TELUS’ infrastructure, operations and spectrum investment plans, anticipated connections to our PureFibre network footprint, and our environmental targets. These forward-looking statements are made based on a number of assumptions and readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on them as there is significant risk that actual results may vary materially from these forward-looking statements, including as a result of risks relating to regulatory decisions and developments, the competitive environment in which we operate, and our operating and financial results.
The forward-looking statements in this news release are subject to the cautionary note and based on the assumptions, qualifications and risks described in detail in TELUS’ 2022 and first quarter 2023 Management’s discussion and analysis, which are incorporated by reference herein, and in other TELUS public disclosure documents and filings with securities commissions in Canada (on SEDAR at sedar.com) and in the United States (on EDGAR at sec.gov). Forward-looking statements describe TELUS’ expectations and are based on our assumptions as at the date of this press release and are subject to change. These statements are made pursuant to the “safe harbour” provisions of applicable securities laws in Canada and the United States Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Except as required by law, TELUS disclaims any intention or obligation to update or revise forward-looking statements.
TELUS (TSX: T, NYSE: TU) is a dynamic, world-leading communications technology company with more than $18 billion in annual revenue and 18 million customer connections spanning wireless, data, IP, voice, television, entertainment, video, and security. Our social purpose is to leverage our global-leading technology and compassion to drive social change and enable remarkable human outcomes. Our longstanding commitment to putting our customers first fuels every aspect of our business, making us a distinct leader in customer service excellence and loyalty. The numerous, sustained accolades TELUS has earned over the years from independent, industry-leading network insight firms showcase the strength and speed of TELUS’ global-leading networks, reinforcing our commitment to provide Canadians with access to superior technology that connects us to the people, resources and information that make our lives better.
Operating in 31 countries around the world, TELUS International (TSX and NYSE: TIXT) is a leading digital customer experience innovator that designs, builds, and delivers next-generation solutions, including AI and content moderation, for global and disruptive brands across strategic industry verticals, including tech and games, communications and media and eCommerce and fintech.
TELUS Health is a global health care leader, which provides employee and family primary and preventive health care and wellness solutions. Our TELUS team, along with our 100,000 health professionals, are leveraging the combination of TELUS’ strong digital and data analytics capabilities with our unsurpassed client service to dramatically improve remedial, preventive and mental health outcomes covering 67 million lives, and growing, around the world. As the largest provider of digital solutions and digital insights of its kind, TELUS Agriculture & Consumer Goods enables efficient and sustainable production from seed to store, helping improve the safety and quality of food and other goods in a way that is traceable to end consumers.
Driven by our determination and vision to connect all citizens for good, our deeply meaningful and enduring philosophy to give where we live has inspired TELUS and our team to contribute $1.5 billion, including 2 million days of service since 2000. This unprecedented generosity and unparalleled volunteerism have made TELUS the most giving company in the world. Together, let’s make the future friendly.
For more information about TELUS, please visit telus.com, follow us at @TELUSNews on Twitter and @Darren_Entwistle on Instagram.
For media inquiries, please contact:
TELUS Public Relations